Search Operators & Filters
The Basic search help article covers all the most common issues, but sometimes you need a little bit more power. This document will highlight the more advanced features of UpName Domain Search.
- Exact search ("")
By putting double quotes around a set of words, you are telling UpName to only consider the exact sequence of characters in that exact order without any change.
- The OR operator
UpName's default behavior is to consider all the words in a search. If you want to specifically allow either one of several words, you can use the OR operator (note that you have to type 'OR' in ALL CAPS). For example, [ fantasy book OR video ] will give you results about either fantasy books or videos, whereas [ Fantasy Book Video ] (without the OR) will show domains that include both audio and video related terms.
- Full Domain Name
You may also enter one or several fully-qualified domain names in the search box to explicitly see its availibility. Entering a full domain name also search on similar domains, and set the extension filter. For example, searching on [ frenchcuisine.com ] is similar to searching on [ french cuisine ] for only domains with the .COM extension.
Exceptions to 'Every word matters'
- Words that are commonly used, like 'the,' 'an,' and 'on,' are usually ignored (these are called stop words).
- Synonyms might replace some words in your original query. (Adding + before a word disables synonyms.)
Filters & Sorting Options
The left frame of the search result page shows filter options to narrow your search results. Set these filters quickly to narrow results to your business needs. For example, if you do not intend to spend more than $100 on a domain, use the price filter accordingly.
The following search filters appear in the left frame of the search result page. Click on any to narrow your search results:
- By Extension: Filter domains to the chosen domain extensions. For example selecting "Only .COM and .NET" will only show domains that end with either .COM or .NET.
- By Price: The minimum and/or maximum price of the domain to display. If the domain is selling at auction, then the highest bid will be used as price. If you set a price range, domains without bid or price will not be returned. If the maximum price is set to 0, only free domains will be considered.
=> tip: "Free domains" are domains that are not owned by anybody. You can registrer such domain with any registrar like GoDaddy or Dynadot. You only pay the registration fee, around $10 depending on the registrar you are using and the domain extension.
- By Domain Length: The maximum number of characters of domain to display. You can also specify a maximum number of words.
- No Synonymous: Prevent UpName from replacing your searched words with synonymous. Same as add "+" in front of all words within your search.
- Keep Word Order: Instruct UpName to give preference to domains that include search words in the same order as you entered them in the search box.
- No Hyphen: Remove all domains with hyphen ("-") from the results
- No Number: Remove all domains with digits from the results
- No IDN: Remove all domains with non-english letters from the results. This includes all domains with accented or Asian characters. IDN stands for "International Domain Names".
- By Sales Format: The format of the sales offer for the domain. For example you may want to consider only domain that have a fixed sales price, or domains that are currently on auction. Selecting Expired & Dropped will limit results to domain expiring or about to be deleted.
- By Listing Date: Instruct UpName to only consider domains that have been listed for sale recently. This is useful for bookmarking search results and revisit them periodically to see new domains matching a search.
- By Additional Keywords: Simple way of adding search words to the current query. Same as entering new terms at the end of the search box.
- More options: link to the advanced search page, where more search options are available. All current search options will be preserved when clicking to the advanced search page.
More search options and filters are available using the advanced search page, including filtering by seller, by pattern, by Google Pagerank or searching historical sales instead of current sales.